The Mount Vernon Ladies' Association has owned and operated Mount Vernon since its acquisition in the late 1850s. The Ladies have been fierce defenders of Washington's home ever since. In the historic image, fifteen vice-regents of the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association pose on the piazza of the Mansion in 1884. In the combined image, young women exit the piazza, behind the Ladies of 1884. It was through the Ladies efforts, both then and now, that Mount Vernon remains a place that all can visit today.
Visible in the photograph is the south porch and balustrade on the roof. Both of these features were added to the Mansion after George Washington’s death, so they were removed in 1932. On the back of the photograph the names of the woman are listed from left to right: Mrs. Ball, Mrs. Broadwell, Mrs. Eve, Mrs. Sweat; Mrs. Laughton, Mrs. Townsend, Miss Harper; Mrs. Herbert, Mrs. Richardson, Mrs. Walker, Mrs. Washington, Mrs. Chase, Mrs. Comegys, Mrs. Mitchell, and Mrs. Pickens.
Our ceramic coffee mugs are available in two sizes: 11 oz. and 15 oz. Each mug is dishwasher and microwave safe.