The Mount Vernon Ladies' Association has owned and operated Mount Vernon since its acquisition in the late 1850s. The Ladies have been fierce defenders of Washington's home ever since. In the historic image, fifteen vice-regents of the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association pose on the piazza of the Mansion in 1884. In the combined image, young women exit the piazza, behind the Ladies of 1884. It was through the Ladies efforts, both then and now, that Mount Vernon remains a place that all can visit today.
Visible in the photograph is the south porch and balustrade on the roof. Both of these features were added to the Mansion after George Washington’s death, so they were removed in 1932. On the back of the photograph the names of the woman are listed from left to right: Mrs. Ball, Mrs. Broadwell, Mrs. Eve, Mrs. Sweat; Mrs. Laughton, Mrs. Townsend, Miss Harper; Mrs. Herbert, Mrs. Richardson, Mrs. Walker, Mrs. Washington, Mrs. Chase, Mrs. Comegys, Mrs. Mitchell, and Mrs. Pickens.
This photograph was produced by Mark Hersch and copyrighted by George Washington's Mount Vernon. The original image used was photographed by Luke Dillon, Pullman's Gallery, Washington, DC.
Bring your print to life with museum-quality frames and mats. Our framed prints are assembled, packaged, and shipped by our expert framing staff and delivered "ready to hang" with pre-attached hanging wire, mounting hooks, and nails.