George Washington's Bed
Make a grand statement with this exquisite four-poster bed, an authentic reproduction of the bedstead George and Martha Washington shared in their bed-chamber at Mount Vernon. The bed is the first item in a new line of reproductions made exclusively for George Washington’s Mount Vernon by Owen Suter’s Fine Furniture of Richmond, Virginia.
The Washington bed is an extraordinary example of American furniture from the Federal Era. During Washington’s presidency, Mrs. Washington commissioned the bed for the Washingtons’ chamber at Mount Vernon, anticipating the restful years of a full retirement to come. The original bed, purchased in the early 1790s, was described by Mrs. Washington as “the new bedstead which I caused to be made in Philadelphia." Its design is in keeping with the Washingtons' preference for elegant simplicity. At just over six feet, six inches long, it was large enough to accommodate the General, who stood about six feet, two inches tall. The bed stood as the centerpiece of the Washington bedchamber for several years, and it meant so much to Martha that she presented it to her grandson in her will. The bedstead returned to Mount Vernon permanently in 1908, where it has stood ever since as a monument to the 40-year partnership of George and Martha Washington
The purchase of this reproduction bed frame represents a unique opportunity to bring a piece of George Washington’s Mount Vernon into your home. The mahogany bed frame is a true reproduction of the bed found in the Washingtons’ bedroom at Mount Vernon. The bed finish is a hand-rubbed lacquer. The stain is a warm brown with golden highlights.
- the bed is 8-way bolted with the nuts embedded in the rails, just as the original bed
- posts turned from solid 3 ½”x 3 ½” squares; made of solid mahogany; posts height 87 ½” tall and turned out of 4” x 4” x 84” squares
- constructed with mortise and tenon joinery
- the headboard is mortised into the posts and floats inside of the mortise so that it can expand and contract; it is finished on both sides so that it can be reversed if it shows wear over generations of enjoyment
- each U-shaped steel channel iron that supports the mattress measures 1” x 2”; channel irons rest on steel L shaped brackets which are screwed to each side rail with 3 screws per bracket
- queen size has three steel channel irons and king size has five steel channel irons
- each side rail measures 4' x 3"
- the bed has four finials with a 9/16” dowel that fits inside the top of the post; finials are removable for easy assembly and disassembly
Queen width 67 ¼” – Length 87”
King width 83 ¼” – Length 87”
Headboard height from floor 58 ½”
The mattress sits on channel iron @ 13 ½”
Post height 87 ½”
Post height with finial 94”
Shipping and Assembly
Additional shipping charges will be applied to your order. The Shops will call or email you after your order is placed to provide exact shipping charges. This is a special made-to-order item. Allow approximately 16-20 weeks for delivery from the vendor. Shipping and delivery charges include blanket wrapped furniture from the factory to the customer’s door. Also included are set up and bed assembling at the time of delivery.
** Shown with canopy fabric, not included with purchase of bed frame. Canopy frames sold separately **
Please contact us at email@example.com for additional information.