This deep cobalt blue bowl is an adaptation of the historic Bristol bowl in our museum collection circa 1750-1800. Although the original bowl was used primarily as a finger bowl, this small piece can be used as a fruit or dessert bowl. Finger bowls were essential parts of any genteel dining service in the second half of the eighteenth century. Placed at each setting, they were filled with plain or rose water. George Washington's choice of an opaque "Bristol Blue" glass was as utilitarian as it was elegant.
Made exclusively for the Shops at Mount Vernon by Blenko Glass, hand blown glass makers in West Virginia since the 19th century. This wide mouth bowl is approximately 4 ¾” in diameter and 4” deep and has “GW” etched on the bottom.
Made in the USA.
View the original: Wash-hand Glass